The Lost And Found Diary Of Comrade Kalushi..Unedited 1st Copy!

Here is the first 10 pages of Baanetse Machona's book, this pages were taken from the first unedited copy done in 2011 when he was in Grade 10. The Text contains grammar and spelling mistakes.


Dear Diary
It is my first time and probably the last I write to you, this is not my style, I am a township boy and writing into a diary is something done by  children who grew and live in suburbs, not townships. I am only writing this because my teacher will check it tomorrow and will probably give me a hiding if it turns out I did not write. If I do not finish writing into this diary I will not go to school tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow, I will drop out of school and go find a job and later on I will buy my mother a beautiful house far away from my father, the monster.
I do not like my father, he is a monster, a beast, he always beats my mother for no reason. Today was I was leaving for school, I left my mother in tears, she said she wants to live, and she will live us with my father because she does not know where she will live us, I told her that she can not live us, my father might rape my sister if my mother goes, I
begged her to stay. I was not in a good mood today, I banked all the classes with Pule. We spend the whole day singing struggle songs of comrades, played spinning and hit on grade 7 girls, we also beat this boy from grade 7, not that I am proud of it, but at least we taught someone a lesson. That Experience was bad and fun, at the same time! No one calls me and Pule losers will ever escape our wrath, we are not losers. This boy went on and reported us to Miss Mabaso, she called me and Pule into her office, she did not give us a hiding, she said that we should write a diary entry about anything and bring it to her first thing tomorrow morning. When the school knocked off, me and Pule were the first to get out of the school premises, we gathered with other boys and sang our way back home, my mother was alone in our shack, she prepared me soft porridge with rama, she gave my sister the same food when she got back from school.  After eating, I went to play soccer with my friends, the team that I was on lost, and we became angry and fought with the other team, I hit the boy from next door with a brick on his mouth, two of his teeth came out. I got scared and I run home, got in our shack and slept next to the bed, I did not tell my mother and sister what was going on. Just an hour ago, the father of the boy I hit were here, he met with my father outside and told him what I did to his son, my father apologised to him and told the father of the boy I hit that he will discipline me, when he came back, he shouted at me, he called me a stupid boy, stupid just like my mother, he said he doubts that I am his son, if I am then truly I am a form of punishment to him. My mother said nothing, my sister was crying and I told her not to cry, everything is going to be okay. My father walked out, he said he will not sleep with us, he was taking a break from us. What a relief, I am going to eat now, after that I will go to sleep.
I will forget about today, My Pain Will go away and I am going to have happy dreams. Bye.

Dear Diary
My teacher said she loves what I wrote hear yesterday, she said I am a very good boy, something tells me that she is lying to me, but nevertheless I am happy she said I am a good boy. Pule did not write anything, and he did not  come to class either, he said this thing is for gays and he is not a guy, he said Ms Mabaso wanted to humiliate us and he was not ready for that. After attending Ms Mathebula’s class I went to sit with Pule at our usual spot, he had something as usual on his hand, it was a roll with something brownish inside, he called it Ntsango and said that it made him fill good and forget about all the bad things in his life. He asked me to try it, so I did. We lit the thing and he demonstrated to me how to smoke it, he passed it to me and I smoked, “slugged” and exhaled, I did it only 3 times. A few minutes after I did not feel myself, I did not feel my legs,hands,and head, my head was free and I felt my body cooling off. Pule just looked at me and laughed the whole time, the next thing I know everything went black and when I opened my eyes Pule was standing up and told me we must go home. I thought it was after school so I followed him, we went to the school fence and he told me to skip it, I couldn’t really think straight, I did what he said, the next thing you know we are out of the school premises. We took our back and walked a long distance to a squatter camp, and knocked on a shack with a black green and gold painted door, the door was open by a guy wearing soulja uniform, he called me and Pule comrades and said welcome. We set on the couch, the guy asked Pule my name and Pule told Him, he then said welcome comrade Kalushi Moloi, we spent about 3 hours listening to him talk about a time called apartheid, he told us about people who fought against it, how much we must respect them, he told us that Nelson Mandela was a sell out, that we must not respect him, he told us that he was a member of Self Defence Unit, and he did there, what is a comrade and told us lots of things and that me, him, and Pule are also comrades, just like Solomon “Kalushi” Mahlongo, and that we must fight for our freedom in our own spaces. I do not know when did I fall asleep, I was waken up with a deep “Amandla”! Comrade Sam gave Comrade Pule that roll we smoked at school. We walked back home and Pule smoked that roll alone, I wanted to smoke too, I felt my head spinning but nothing big. We walked and arrived where I live, Pule went where he live.
When I got in my shack, I found my mother crying, I asked her why she is crying and she told me that Ms Maphanga was here, Ms Maphanga told my mother that I went out of the school before the school knocked off! My mother said she does not want me to be like her, she said I must have a better life and banking school wont give me a better life, it will give me the opposite. I told her not to worry, I will start taking school seriously, she then looked me inside my eyes and asked if that’s a promise, I failed to answer that. My mother cooked nothing, no porridge, nothing. I went to play with my friends but I couldn’t play because I was hungry, I then walked to comrade Pule’s house and he was exited to see me when I got there. His mother prepared him food, pap and meat and we ate at the dining room. I saw his father on a souljas uniform on a framed picture hanging on the wall and I also saw a Black,Green,And Gold flag standing on top of the TV, asked Pule what was that and he said its an ANC Flag, the oldest liberation Movement. After eating we listened to a cd of the struggle songs, practised them because “we have to sing them” tomorrow. After that I came back home and found my mother and father arguing about food, my father shouted at my mother, saying that she is a useless whore, my mother responded by asking where is she supposed to get food when my father does not provide anything for food, my father responded by slapping my mother on the face with a hot clap, he then punched her on the face, tripped he and when she fall down he continuously kicked her on the stomach while calling her horrible names, he kicked her about 7 times, and she bled. Me and my sister were hugging each other crying on the corner of the shack, clueless of what we can do, my father went out after beating my mother and we told our mother that its time we live, she said there is nowhere to go, we told her to call the police but she refused. I then called the police, they came and we told them what happened, they found my dad at the tavern 3 houses away from our shack and took him with them. I doubt we are going to sleep today, me and my sister must watch out for our mother. Bye.
Dear Diary

I did not want to go to school today, my mother forced me to go, she said because I am a boy, my sister will stay behind and look after her because she is a girl and girls know how to nurse wounds, clean and cook. I went to school angry, when I got to Mis Maphanga’s class she called me to her office and asked me what was wrong at my home, I told her nothing is wrong and she said I am lying something is wrong and she will come and check what is it that is happening at my home. I got angry and shouted at her that if she come she will have my father to deal with. I stormed out of her class and went around the school looking for Pule, I shouted his name, went in both girls and boys toilets, but couldn’t find him. I went to sit at our usual spot, and thought about what happened yesterday and today, I thought about freedom and life outside of a shack and poverty, while i was thinking I remembered comrade Sam, I thought that the right parson to learn freedom from was comrade Sam so I decide to go to him, I skipped the schools fence and went to comrades Sam’s Shack, when I go there I had many voices and loud struggle songs, I knocked about 3 times and the 3rd time comrade Sam opened the door, he smiled when he saw me and said Oh its our new Comrade Kalushi as he motioned me inside the shack. There shack was full of people, about ten boys excluding me, Comrade Sam, and Comrade Pule, there were 15 girls in total, comrade Sam introduced me to everyone and I shook their hands as comrade Sam was introducing, I asked Pule what was he doing there and he told me that they are planning a  match against the current 60%  pass mark for high school leaners, i asked why did he come here instead of school and he told me he decided to drop out of school and focus on what is important, getting freedom. There was alcohol on the floor, many kinds, everyone was drinking and smoking that roll known as ntsango. Comrade Sam was doing most of the talking, he told them why the march is important, he said that an African child cannot be expected to pass with 60+ in a white man education system, he said that this was an idea of whites to make African children fail higher education, he said this must be stopped because it is a threat to our freedom, economic freedom. He then ended his long talk with “Amandla!” and everyone said “Awethu”. Then after that this comrades sang struggle songs while drinking,smoking,kissing and doing all surprising things, comrade Pule was on the action too, I was now with a girl named Palesa, she offered me alcohol I refused, she offered me the Roll and I accepted it, I smoked, we smoked, she ended up kissing me and I couldn’t refuse, she touched my privet part and rubbed while kissing me, the next thing she opened my zip and my penis was hard, she took it out of my pants with her hand and she put it under her skirt, I felt my penis going into something warm, it went in, she put it and started going up and down with her waist, I knew then that I was engaging in a sexual activity, with a grade 11 girl, who is a member of cosas. This was my first time but it felt good. I passed out on her, and when I woke up she was not there, it was 6pm and nobody was in the shack. I went out and walked home and when I got home I found my father siting on the bed smoking, my mother and sister were not here and I did not bother asking my father, I just went next to the table and tried to sleep. After a while my mother and sister came in and asked my father if I have not yet came in, he said to the “here is this nincompoop” pointing where I was lying. They asked if I am okay and I responded by asking what my father was doing here. They did not answer, I got angry and my mother asked me to sleep, I thought I start by writing what happened today here before I sleep, it is not easy because I am angry but I write because writing makes me feel better, I am going to sleep now and tomorrow I am starting a new life, it is time to fight for my freedom, my mothers and sisters freedom, there is no one who can give you freedom you need to fight for it. Bye.